• March 15Welcome back students from spring break!

• February 20Good luck to all spring sports gearing up for the season!

Hugh Jackman is The Greatest Showman

Emily Hudson, Editor

“Ladies and Gents this is the moment you’ve waited for.” The Greatest Showman, a musical about the origin of the circus, began playing in theatres across America on Dec. 20 and is still showing. The film highlights the life of P.T. Barnum, played by Hugh Jackman, and his journey from orphan to Prince of Humbug.

When Barnum cannot provide the extravagant life he promised his wife, Michelle Williams, he creates show business to appeal to humanity’s curious side. Barnum’s American Museum is loved by New York City and quickly gains a large following. A doubtful critic calls it a “circus,” so Barnum adopts the name for his show and becomes the Prince of Humbug. With his growing popularity, Barnum seeks out Phillip Carlyle, Zac Efron, as a business partner. The audacious duo take on the city and the challenges that come with founding the entertainment industry. The circus is filled with “American oddities” including trapeze artist Ann Wheeler and The Bearded Lady, played by Zendaya and Keala Settle respectively.

In the past, movie musicals have had a difficult time making it on the big screen without debuting on Broadway first. However, on Jan. 7, The Greatest Showman was awarded the Golden Globe with best original song for “This Is Me” by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. The biopic was also nominated for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy and Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy (Hugh Jackman). On Jan. 8, “The Greatest Showman” album climbed to No. 1 on the Billboard chart. With the release of La La Land earlier in 2017 and The Greatest Showman both receiving outstanding turnouts, it looks as though that precedent is set to change.

*For those whom could not make it to the theatre for the sing-along showings, one can always find the author of this article to perform the entire show.