The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Movie Review : Five Nights at Freddy’s

As someone who watched the Five Nights At Freddy’s movie and as an avid fan of the series, I went in with high hopes on release day, and I can walk away confidently saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am going to do a surface level review of the movie, why I enjoyed it, and why others should enjoy it too. There will be spoilers, so only read on if you have watched it or don’t care!

I went into the movie expecting the movie to be good. Knowing the story and background info that the movie didn’t show does help with the viewing, but the movie does a good job of explaining the story and who the characters are. Now, to get into it, the introduction of the movie gives a little bit of background information on what the place is and why the main character, Mike, has the job as a night security guard at a run-down pizza place with animatronics. 

After the first night Mike has to bring his little sister into work due to some affairs. Eventually, Mike makes it through his first 2 nights of the job when the place gets broken into and destroyed while he’s not at work. An officer comes to help Mike assess the damage and see what happened. This act angered the animatronics who have the souls of children in them. Mike and his sister along with the animatronics, who can now move and are friendly with the sister, clean up the place and make a fort. Many people did not like this scene as they say the animatronics were acting too much like children as if they are not literal children. I personally liked this specific scene because it shows how the kids are still acting like children and love these childish acts, like building a big fort. It humanizes the otherwise frightening and otherworldly animatronics. 

Following this scene, the officer that helped Mike came to the pizza place, at which point Mike learned that the officer grew up there and is friends with the animatronics. I enjoy this because it shows that the children’s souls still notice the officer from when she grew up, and it shows that they still want to protect her as they still view her as a child. This once again gives a much needed human element to the subhuman element of the horror story.

Coming into the finishing act, it turned  out that the owner of the place was still alive and controlled the animatronics to have them attack Mike. Mike learned  from the officer that the children are controlled through drawings, so Mike’s sister redrew the children being friends with Mike and his sister. Thus, the movie ends after they fight the owner. This ending made the real evil not the animatronics themselves; rather, the real evil was losing one’s childhood, one’s sense of innocence. 

There are cameos in the movie from a few people who are big in the Fnaf scene that avid viewers would enjoy. I recommend this movie to people who like Fnaf and even those who don’t, it’s a tad confusing if you don’t understand what’s going on but it is a good movie either way. I give this movie a 7/10 and a thumbs up. Go check it out!