The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Best Christmas movies of all time

1. A Christmas Story

A Christmas Story is a classic, and staple for almost every family around the holidays, and literally plays for a full 24 hours on Christmas day. The saying “You’ll shoot your eye out”, has become one of the most known quotes from all Christmas movies. I feel that this movie has so many side scenes in it, that it appeals to both adults and children. This movie shows how everything can go wrong throughout the holiday season, but through it all, Christmas is still hopeful and celebrated.

2. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The Grinch is a unique story of evil and hatred towards Christmas. The Grinch is not only a humorous story of a green hairy goblin, but a heartwarming tale. The Grinch helps kids believe in the magic of Christmas, and shows the way the holidays brings people together. All children recognize The Grinch, and associate him with the stealing of presents, so naturally many adults threaten his appearance to steal their presents when misbehaving. 

3. Home Alone

Although there are multiple Home Alone movies, the first one is probably the best of all. Home Alone is about a boy who gets left alone on Christmas, but is still able to enjoy the holidays, and find Christmas joy. The main character, Kevin, decorates the house for Christmas, and is able to find the positive of celebrating without his family. 

4. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Many might disagree with the ranking of this movie, and argue that it should be higher on the list, but I feel that this movie has more appeal to an older audience. This movie is something you watch as you’re older around the holiday season, and you’re able to understand all the hidden jokes within the movie.

5. Elf

Personally, I see Elf as a more comedic movie as well, and is something more enjoyed by adults or older children. However, it still falls on the top five movies because of its popularity and recognizable quotes. I like this movie because it represents how adults no longer believe in the Christmas spirit, but when Buddy shows others the importance of jolliness, he changes the outlook of grown-ups during the holidays.