• January 30Prom Fashion show rescheduled to Feb. 3

• January 4Stay safe and warm in these cold temperatures!

• January 4It's always a great day to be an Oracle!

Elon Musk, Twitter, and his Bizarre Marketing Strategy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nickolas Roberson, Columnist

Elon Musk is quite a curious and peculiar individual The man has 120-hour work weeks and sleeps in his factories for days at a time, and he has also been seen insulting an analyst during a Tesla earnings call. Musk also appeared on Joe Rogan’s podcast, discussed his companies and smoked a blunt, and has been accusing the British diver, Vernon Unsworth, who helped save 12 members of a junior Thai soccer team trapped in a cave, of pedophilia; the investor and business magnate is constantly stirring up a storm. Yet there is one thing that is the most peculiar of them all: his Twitter account.

The utilization of Twitter by CEOs of major corporations is usually very limited; their posts and tweets are low in frequency and presence, yet high in rectitude. The Twitter account of Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon, is a prime example of this, with his postings consisting of political support, history, and news concerning Amazon.

These corporate executives have surrounded themselves with and have had their lives consumed with the professionalism that runs rampant in corporate culture, with its pressed suits and ties, firm handshakes, and lack of personalization. They refuse to relax, unwind, and have some fun in their lives. However, Elon Musk appears to be breaking the mold of this, with postings such as this:

That’s right, one of the brightest minds of this century, the CEO of multiple, billion-dollar corporations, and the man pushing humanity to the stars is asking his 23 million followers for memes. Yet this is not the first, and most certainly not the last, bizarre Tweet that Musk has shared with the world. There are others such as this, where he compared major social media sights to popular video games:

Or when Musk confessed his love and passion for anime, and that he owns a Wolverine chibi:

… after which he was quickly locked out of his Twitter account:

There was even a string of Tweets where Musk talked about his presumed past life of being a sponge:

Social media plays a major role in everyone’s lives, and by posting memes and bizarre tweets in general, Musk is marketing himself and his companies up to Generation Z, who are young adults and teenagers born between the mid-1990s to mid-2000s.

These individuals utilize social media differently than past generations, spending much more time on it than any other generation and by using it mainly for entertainment rather than connecting with friends. Vibrant pictures and videos garner the attention of these young people, especially memes, with nearly every teenager today being absolutely absorbed by and addicted to memes.

Thus, by marketing his Twitter toward this “meme culture,” Musk is also garnering the attention of these young people, allowing his companies to gain a future following for years to come.

Nickolas Roberson, columnist

Nick is a junior at Delphi and this is his first year in Parnassus. He runs varsity cross country and track and field. He is also a member of Student Council,...