• January 30Prom Fashion show rescheduled to Feb. 3

• January 4Stay safe and warm in these cold temperatures!

• January 4It's always a great day to be an Oracle!

Unique ways to show gratitude this Thanksgiving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Elizabeth Walker, Staff Writer

Each Thanksgiving, families across the nation gather to show appreciation for each other by getting together and sharing a huge feast. What if there was something more you could to to further divulge to your family and friends just how much they mean to you? This holiday season, let your actions speak louder than your words, and do something special for a loved one.

• Help prepare for Thanksgiving: Don’t just sit around and wait for dinner to be prepared—help out! You could help your grandma bake a pie, help your grandpa cut the turkey, or even do something as rudimentary as setting the table. Offering to help clean up afterwards is always a kind gesture as well. Helping around the house is greatly appreciated during this frenzied time of cooking and preparation. This is a great way to show with your actions just how thankful you are for the tasks your family does for you throughout the year.

• Make a handwritten note: Crafting an original poem or card to give to a loved one is unparalleled by any store bought card you could give your family member. It personalizes the message and makes them appreciate the time and effort you’ve put forth into your creation. List off some reasons you appreciate them, and thank them for the things that they do. They will treasure this tangible gesture of goodwill and remember it for a long time.

• Spend time: This tip is fairly basic, but it can be meaningful if you take time to think of things they would like to do. Giving someone your time is so valuable, because you’re giving them moments that you’ll never get back. So, if your grandma likes museums, take her to the one in Indianapolis. If your dad has been wanting to go to a football game, suggest going to a Purdue game together. Time is fleeting, so make time for what is important in your life.

• Volunteer to do things: If you know that your dad doesn’t like taking the trash out, go do it for him. Offering to do things that you know are challenging or unpleasant shows others just how much you care about them. Little acts of kindness can brighten anyone’s day, and it will really make a difference in their mood. Especially this time of year, going out of your way to do a random act of kindness will be noticed and greatly appreciated.

• Lastly, give a hug: Probably requiring the least amount of work, you can always give your loved one a hug. Hugs are proven to reduce stress and improve moods. Simple physical contact showing that you value your friends and family may be one of the most powerful things of all.

The meaning of Thanksgiving has been lost in festivities of food and football. This Thanksgiving, treasure the simple moments you make with your family and friends. These will be the memories you cherish for many years to come.

Elizabeth Walker, staff writer

Elizabeth is a junior at Delphi Community High School and is embarking on her first year of Parnassus. Her extracurricular activities include SADD, Interact,...