The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

2023 Farm Progress Show

Before Attending

2023 is the 70th anniversary of the Farm Progress Show – the nation’s largest outdoor farming event. Every other year, the Farm Progress Show is held on an old Air Force Base in Decatur Illinois. The event runs from August 29th to the 31st, but Delphi FFA’s members have the opportunity to go and attend on the first day. Having attended in the past, I am looking forward to going and seeing all of the new developments in Agriculture. There are also many fun things to do, including a mechanical bull that we rode the last time we went. The North American Diving Dogs were also there putting on a show, demonstrating how far they can dive into a pool after their toys. While we are not sure what all will be there this year, here are some expectations for the 2023 show.

Our first expectation is to eat some good food. Last time we attended, there were many food booths set up to stop and try new foods while you get away from the heat. Hopefully this year, we can find new booths we haven’t stopped at before and find something good to eat/drink.

Our second expectation is to see some new advances in Ag Technology. While this is the main point of the show, our group didn’t get to see all that was offered the last time we went. This year though, I would like to see more of the equipment demonstrations and take many photos of farming equipment.

Our final expectation is just to have fun. With the independence of exploring in our own groups, we can decide what we want to see, and when we want to see it. We can participate in activities with our friends and get a ton of free items (my favorite part.) It is going to be a long day, but next, I will report what expectations were met after attending the Farm Progress Show. 

After Attending

After having attended the 2023 Farm Progress Show, I can say that all expectations were definitely met. For one, the food was a hit. They had many different booths with all different food types. There were ice cream stands – some even free – and the Kona Ice truck was there giving out free shaved ice with tons of flavor options to choose from. Personally, I got peach mixed with birthday cake, which was delicious. There was also a booth handing out Korean candies, which were very good as well.

Now, for the main purpose of attending, we saw many new advances in agriculture. They had huge farming drones there along with tons of tractors and equipment. The very back row had a lineup of old tractors which was very cool to see. Polaris was also there with an obstacle course you could pay to ride on. We didn’t end up doing this, but maybe in the future.

Lastly, and my favorite part, was the fact that we had fun. I came home with a ton of free stuff, ranging from pens to t-shirts, and it was definitely worth the shoulder pain. We spent the whole day with friends, and even the bus ride was very enjoyable because of how fun our members are. I highly recommend FFA to anyone looking for a fun club to be a part of because of the memories you will make and the people you will meet. Maybe in the future, you can attend the Farm Progress Show, whether it is through FFA or with friends and family.