The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Productive summer pays off for DCHS Dance Team

Abby Price
The DCHS dance team performed at the halftime show for the first home football game of the season.

The halftime buzzer screams out loud and you think, “Great! Now I have to just sit here for the next ten minutes doing nothing,” and then you remember: the dance team. Delphi Dance Team, formally known as the Poms team, has been a part of Delphi Friday nights for many years. They always sashay out to the middle of the court and steal the spotlight with the newest hit song and entertain the crowd with their toe touches and smiling faces. This year, though, will be a little different.

The Delphi Dance team has a new coach, Mrs. Paige Clinkenbeard. Mrs. Clinkenbeard has been involved with dance for quite some time. She was a Raiderette at Harrison  High School for four years and then was a dance captain and choreographer for the Purdue Musical Organization while she attended Purdue. “I have been dancing my whole life, studying everything from ballet to tap to jazz to hip hop,” commented Mrs. Clinkenbeard.

This isn’t her first time coaching a dance team either. Before she came to Delphi, she was a coach for the West Side dance team as well. “My passion for coaching comes from a deep passion for dance and performing,” she said.

Of course, with all of this hype about the new coach, what about the team? Senior Dakota Smart is more than excited about showing everyone what the team has to offer. “The team has improved so much already and school hasn’t even started. Our routines will blow you away!” said Dakota. “I’m confident that this year’s team will be placing at state this year.”

The team has been working hard this summer by participating in morning practices and attending the NDA dance camp where some of the girls attained a special honor, being named All-American. “The All-American award was given to girls who showed outstanding leadership, showmanship, and technique while at dance camp,” explained senior Olivia Bieghler. This award also provides the winners an opportunity to represent their school in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, the Christmas parade at Walt Disney World, the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, and a lot of other big events. Seniors Emma Carpenter and Olivia Bieghler, and junior Mikayla Powlen were all winners while senior Dakota Smart  was also nominated for this prestigious award.

With the new freshmen, Emilee Gear and Erika Ross,  and a new coach, the chemistry of the team is at an all time high as well. “I think the chemistry of the team is fantastic. We all mesh very well and have grown already together just over the summer,” said Emma Carpenter.

“I feel like this season is going to be different in a good way! With new coaches, this year is a building year and after this summer, we are definitely building,” added Olivia Bieghler. After the CC game, the girls really showed their news skills. With the upbeat song Great Balls of Fire for the halftime show, the girls received great feedback from the stands, and gave a wonderful preview of the performances to come.