The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Merica with them feather things

It’s freedom in a tangible form. It’s the symbol of our great country. It’s 6.3 kilos of pure winged predatory power. People, it is the Haliaeetus leucocephalus.

With razor sharp talons that cut through the flesh of small mammals and countless fish, this beast is one of the most patriotic peregrines that are on this planet. So patriotic, indeed, that it has made guest appearances with famous people all the way from George Washington to the recent Super Bowl commercial with satirical genius Stephen Colbert. Oh, and by the way, the majestic beast that I am describing is the national animal of the United States. Yeah, if you still don’t know what I am talking about, it’s the bald eagle. The bald eagle is the raptor that I have been describing.

Those descriptions though, is that not a creature fit to be the animal that represents our beautiful country? Is it not a living embodiment of the freedom that makes us the nation we are? The vivid yellow beak and feet compliment the sultry, deep brown of the feathers in a most resplendent way. It is as if this, for lack of a better, more complimenting word, bird was created to have the weight of the most illustrious country in the world bestowed upon its 2.3 meter wingspan. Plus, it also loves pistachio nuts, so how could you not find it spectacular? Pistachios are delicious, simply put. I could probably compose a twenty page essay on the details that describe the great pistachio, but that would do an injustice to this eagle of the bald sort.

For those of you who have never personally been graced by the brilliance of a bald eagle, have no fear. Drive yourself to Carrollton bridge, or anywhere else along the Wabash, one summer morning and park. Stay very still, and I promise you that you will eventually experience the gift of a sighting. It may be as they swoop down to strike upon a helpless drum, or as they return to their nest, but regardless, the sight is just as mystifying. Seeing them free and in their natural habitat does the soul good. It helps remind us that the world still has natural beauty. These beasts still roam as they did 300 years ago when our country was young. It is quite the thought to ponder, is it not? They have done this for the last three centuries, will they thrive for three more? One can only hope that this representation of freedom will live on, along with our gallant country.