The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Book review: The Girl Who Played with Fire

http://collider.com/david-fincher-the-girl-who-played-with-fire/

The Girl Who Played With Fire was written by Stieg Larsson and is the sequel to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The story is about Mikael Blovkist, a world renowned journalist who is famous for his expose on Wennerstrom Industry. He and his colleagues begin to work on writing and publishing a book on the sex trade in Europe. During their work, two of his friends are brutally murdered and the blame is placed on Elisabeth Salander. Salander is an antisocial computer hacker. She gets thrown into the chaos of the murders and has to go into hiding while at the same time hoping to uncover the actual murderer.

I actually liked this book more than Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The book was better at keeping you guessing than its predecessor. The characters in it were better too. There’s one guy who works for the mob, and he’s the creepiest guy you’ll ever read about. He’s a seven foot giant that is insanely ripped, and on top of all that, he can’t feel pain. He’s basically a walking tank.

I also liked the subplots in the book. There’s loads of just different stories about things that don’t necessarily tie into the main plot, and it makes the characters in the book more personable. There’s a part at the beginning of the book where Salander goes on a year long vacation. She rooms next to a girl who is being abused by her husband. Later on, she helps the girl get away from her husband. I thought it showed off how her character was actually like in an extreme way.

The Girl Who Played With Fire was, for the most part, all around better than the first book. I’d definitely recommend it.