The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Staff review: Les Misérables

Staff review: Les Misérables

What was known as one of the best novels of the nineteenth century and what became a beloved Broadway musical, has now become one of the greatest movies of the year. An emotional soundtrack, a deeply moving storyline and amazing actors are the three features that make the movie Les Misérables (in English The Wretched) such a masterpiece.

The story, written by Victor Hugo, takes place between 1804 and 1849 and shows the journey of Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman). After being a convict for about 19 years, a pastor leads him the right way and he starts living an honest life under a new identity. He adopts a little girl named Cosette (later Amanda Seyfried) after her mother Fantine (Anne Hathaway) dies. Jean learns to feel love and be loved like a father. The only problem is that his old prison guard Javert (Russell Crowe) is looking after him and tries to enforce “justice.”

But the story directed by Tom Hooper is about more than just the adventurous and heartwarming story of Jean Valjean. It is about religion, rebellion, justice and the history of France. The settings of the scenes are chosen carefully and every costume was made with a thought behind it. For instance, for one scene seaweed was shipped down from Scotland and the rebuilding of the streets of Paris involved a team of about one hundred carpenters.

Helena Bonham Carter (Harry Potter) and Sacha Baron Cohen (Bruno), Cosette’s unscrupulous foster parents, appear in different situations and give the movie its color and humor.

Les Mis keeps another little secret: Every single person is singing every take live in front of the camera while they are acting. “The idea of singing live is daunting, but what it gives you is this.. freedom!” said Hugh Jackman. But even though the songs were recorded live and sung beautifully – in my opinion 50 songs in one movie were a little too much.

Les Misérables, with its talented actors and beautiful songs, lets the audience fall for the characters and their story. Huge credit has to be given to the set and costumes, too. The movie has already won three Golden Globe Awards, three awards of the Hollywood film festival for “Best Cast,” “Movies of the year,” and “Best Sound” and is still pending in many more categories.