The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Johnson to play football at University of Indianapolis

DCHS senior Garrett Johnson has recently signed his National Letter of Intent to play football collegiately at the University of Indianapolis. Johnson, an all-Hoosier Conference and all-area team selection plans to play defensive back for the Greyhounds.

“It felt like home from an athletic point of view but more importantly, from an academic point of view,” Johnson said on the decision. The 6’1”, 180 lb versatile senior doesn’t just bring athletic excellence to U of Indy, he also brings academic excellence having been named to the academic all-state team in 2013.

Johnson led the team in tackles (101) and interceptions (6) last season, and also deflected 4 passes. “Coach Keevers is gaining a nice size defensive back with great speed and athleticism. It is more difficult to find taller defensive backs with speed,” head coach Josh Strasser said on Johnson. Although Garrett will be playing strictly on defense collegiately, he also led the Delphi squad offensively in rushing yards, all-purpose yards, and touchdowns.

Johnson received a special honor recently in being named to the all-region team. The players that play in the North-South All-Star Game are selected from the region teams.

Johnson’s signing marks the second year in a row in which an Oracle football player has gone on to play at the next level.  DCHS 2013 graduate Ricky Windell went on to play at Hanover. “Any time we see former players go on to college and play, it’s a benefit to our program. We always place an emphasis on putting our players in position to be successful and it’s a plus if we help prepare them for the next level,” said Strasser.

“It has been a joy to have Garrett in my first two years helping to turn the program around. I hope the younger guys understand how special he was as a player and how important his work ethic and positive attitude were to the team,” coach Strasser added.

The University of Indianapolis is in NCAA Division II. The Greyhounds finished the 2013 campaign with a 10-2 record.