The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Oracle Sports Update

Girls’ Basketball

The young girls’ basketball team closed the regular season with a 10-8 record. The Lady Oracles are led by sophomores Tatum Minier with 12.8 point per game and Myka Roth right behind her averaging 12.4 points per game. The very talented freshman and sophomore loaded team has gained valuable experience throughout the season and is ready for sectionals. Sectionals for the Oracles start Tuesday, Feb. 11 against Rensselaer at 7 p.m. The host site is Winamac.

Boys’ Basketball

The boys’ basketball team has had to adjust to losing 4 starters and 5 total players from last year’s graduating class. Seniors Garrett Johnson and Kolby Myer have stepped up along with juniors Brent Hawn and Mason Lane. A tough Hoosier Conference slate has the boys sitting with a 7-9 record about a month away from sectionals. Big rivalry games are upcoming, though. The Oracles traveled cross county to take on Carroll this past Friday. The Cougars jumped out to an early lead and took a 17 point lead midway through the third quarter before the Oracles stormed back to win 44-41.The Oracles turn around to battle the Twin Lakes Indians on Feb. 13.

Wrestling

The wrestling team has enjoyed another strong season on the mat. The squad has leaned on their seniors for wins this year. Three class of 2014 wrestlers, Billy Collier at 126 lbs, Walker Alderman at 132 lbs, and Bryer Houston at 220 lbs took 1st place honors at the Hoosier Conference meet. Sophomores Dean Hampton at 113 and Hunter Mote at 170 also were conference champions. As a team, the Oracles fought hard but placed 2nd behind West Lafayette. At the sectional meet, Hunter Mote was the lone champion but nine other Oracle wrestlers advanced to regionals at Logansport. They included Kenny Zaldivar (106), Dean Hampton (113), Johnny Little (120), Billy Collier (126), Walker Alderman (132), Aaron Madison (152), Tanner Watson (160), Tyler Burns (195), and Bryer Houston (220). At regionals, 7 of the 10 qualifiers won their first match and advanced onto Semi-State. Zaldivar, Hampton, Alderman, Collier, Madison, and Houston were the ones to advance. Once again, Hunter Mote was the lone regional champion at 170 lbs. Semi-State takes place this Saturday at Merrillville.

Swimming

Just like the wrestling squad, Oracle swimming has leaned on their upperclassman, and more so, its seniors. For the girls’ team, senior Emma Carpenter holds the best time on the team this year in three events: the 100 breast, the 200 individual medley, and the 500 free. Juniors Addie Bradshaw and Haley Sales hold the best time on the team for 2 events and 1 event, respectively. On the boys’ side, seniors Cameron Burns, Adam Goodman, and Elliot Murphy hold the best times on the team for 2 events each. At the Hoosier Conference swim meet, Cameron Burns won 1st place in the 50 free. Sectional for the girls’ team was this past Saturday. Many girls swam their best time on the year but none were able to advance to the state meet. Boys’ sectional will take place Thursday, Feb. 13 and Saturday, Feb. 15 at Crawfordsville.