• April 17Good luck to our spring sports teams

• April 17Have a fun and safe PROM - April 27

• January 4It's always a great day to be an Oracle!

Government overreach will grow with both parties in power

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nickolas Roberson, Columnist

As of November 2018, the Democrats control the US House of Representatives, while the Republicans control the US Senate. With both of these political parties in power now, political gridlock in this great nation of ours will consume all things political in nature, preventing a copious amount of legislation from being passed. However, the legislation that is passed with both parties in control will only increase the already gluttonous influence and power of the United States government, proving detrimental to its citizens.

For over a hundred years now, the government of these United States of America has demonstrated a multitude of times its willingness to encroach upon and violate our natural rights and liberties; we have lawmakers attempting to limit our 2nd amendment rights with the bump stock ban and warrantless surveillance was being conducted on American citizens just to list a few of the many of infringements. With this established political gridlock growing, these infringements will only increase in frequency.

Why? In order for the established political parties to gain “true progress” in the political system now, they must come to agreements, compromises, and create bipartisan deals that work for both sides of the aisle. With their varying beliefs on many different issues, from the economy, healthcare, foreign policy, education, abortion, etc., these parties will be forced to find common ground if they wish to uphold the American system of politics that they were sworn-in to serve.

Now, to the average citizen, this may sound like a good thing. “Oh! My candidate is doing his or her job by pushing past this gridlock in politics and being bipartisan! Wonderful!” Yes, the wheels of politics are able to move once again in this instance, but they are by no means moving in a positive direction. Both parties, Democrat and Republican, want to ensure that what they want is put into place, no matter the cost of political capital during this gridlock. For example, even though they have only had control of the US House of Representatives for two months, members of the Democratic party have already proposed a bill to eliminate the Electoral College, which would effectively end states with smaller populations from being influential in elections. Additionally, Democrats proposed another bill that would criminalize the private sale of firearms, a clear violation of our 2nd Amendment right. Due to a Republican-controlled US Senate, these absurd bills will most likely not be passed.

However, if bills that are similar to these are introduced but contain legislation that pertains to both parties’ agendas, such as tax dollars set aside to fund the wall on the United States-Mexico border along with providing “free,” taxpayer-funded healthcare to American citizens, then the government will increase ever more. Both parties have had their wants fulfilled in this situation, pushing them to fulfill more extreme legislature that fits in their agendas. Thus, an ever-growing spiral of government power increasing will be established, putting every natural and constitutional right and liberty of American citizens at risk.

Nickolas Roberson, columnist

Nick is a junior at Delphi and this is his first year in Parnassus. He runs varsity cross country and track and field. He is also a member of Student Council,...