The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Xbox One: A survival story

photo provided

As a write this, take into deep consideration that I am not fully aware of the outside world. It has been two days since I’ve seen sunlight, and I believe that I am beginning to develop some sixth sense that involves reaction time and the ability to dominate noobs.  It’s a beautiful world people, the world that I am in. The world of the Xbox One.

Flashback to Thursday night, 7 PM at the local mall, waiting outside of Gamestop with my buddies. It’s hard. Knowing what we’ll have in those five, seemingly eternal hours, is an accumulation of what we have waited for our entire lives… well at least the last six months. We aren’t the only warriors camping out either. Many of our brethren are here with us, anticipating the moment when their lives will change forever—and then it’s here.

Sustenance for this long weekend that lay ahead? We have that covered. For the seven soldiers that will be staking out with us, an ample amount of rations will be available. The items include 4 family sized bags of Doritos, 50 bags of TGI Friday’s cheddar bacon potato skins, 72 cans of Mountain Dew, and 24 cans of root beer. I know it’s not much, but we can only pray to the gods of gaming that it prove to be enough to get us through the weekend. It is, of course, a three day stakeout.

Three hours later, here we sit, reclined and relaxing as our new babies are applying the day one update to their software. It isn’t a long download, but having 4 consoles on the same network slows it down to below a snail’s pace. In cohesion with that was also that rabid anticipation that was tearing at us. All we wanted was to play, and the time was seemingly forever. As the updates applied, we slowly drifted away…

AHH! “The numbers. The numbers, Bryer. What do they mean?” As I wake up in a cold sweat, I shake Joe. I explain to him we must play our new Xboxes before it’s too late. We sprint to the living room and delve into the amazing graphics and quality of these mythical machines. It is just all so smooth. Little did we know in those first couple hours that we would each log over 24 hours of gameplay in that weekend. Sleep becomes a hobby, not a necessity. Xbox is our necessity.

And we gamed, we cried, we laughed, and had a really really really good time. It did break our hearts oh so much to miss school that Friday, but actually not at all. This was the best idea that we have ever had and we are really awesome for having it. Moral of the story? Get an Xbox One if you can; you’ll never be sad.