• December 6HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• July 31It's always a great day to be an Oracle

Oracles grab homecoming win

Back to Article
Back to Article

Oracles grab homecoming win

Joe Perry, Sports Writer

Last Friday, October 6, Delphi (3-5) played their homecoming game against Benton Central (1-7). Though most of the students here at Delphi were focusing on spirit week, their class floats and, more prominently, the homecoming dance, the football team was preparing for the Bisons.

The game got off to a slow start on Friday. Benton Central’s first drive went to Delphi’s 16 yard line, but due to two penalties, a block in the back and an intentional grounding, they had to go back inside their territory and settle for a punt.

Heading into the second quarter, the score was 0-0. The score stayed that way until the 3:17 mark, when Benton Central scored on an 8 yard rushing touchdown. However, the PAT was no good, giving Benton Central a 6-0 lead. Delphi quickly responded, aided by a 40 yard kickoff return and a 14 yard touchdown reception, both by Blake Carroll. After the late score, Delphi lead the Bisons 7-6 at the half.

After the homecoming festivities came to an end and the teams were back on the field, play resumed. Neither team scored until the 2:51 mark of the third quarter, when Benton Central scored on an 87 yard touchdown pass, and then accompanied it with a 2 point conversion. The score stayed 14-7 until the end of the quarter.

The game got a lot more interesting in the fourth. Blake Carroll scored a touchdown on a 1 yard rush, and Seth Waters ran for an 86 yard touchdown 80 seconds later. The Oracles followed that up by recovering a fumble after Waters’s touchdown, but couldn’t convert. The Bisons responded with an 87 yard pass with 3:39 left, evening up the score at 21-21. On the Bison’s next drive, Seth Waters intercepted the ball and returned it for a pick six, giving the Oracles a 28-21 lead with 1:10 left in the game. The Bisons, however, didn’t get discouraged. They drove down the field, scoring on a 1 yard rush with 0:39 left in the game. However, they had bigger ambitions than to just tie it up; they went for a two point conversion, hoping to steal a win. Luckily for Delphi, they didn’t convert. Delphi made the stop they needed to secure the homecoming victory over the Bison, 28-27.

The Oracles will close out the regular season next week at home against Taylor. They will play Oak Hill (2-6) in the first round of sectionals on October 20.

About the Contributors
Joe Perry, sports writer

Joe is a junior at Delphi and is in his second year with Parnassus. He plays tennis, cross country, and baseball, and he is also involved with Bracketology...

Michael O'Neil, videographer

Michael is a junior at Delphi and this is his second year on the Parnassus staff. He swims in the winter and works the rest of the year. In his free-time,...