• October 31Fall play Nov. 9 and 10

• October 31Celebrate Red Ribbon Week

Seniors’ reactions towards entering “real world”

Dacota Shockley, Staff Writer

The end of the first semester is drawing to a close. For seniors, it is the last first semester of high school. This brings excitement, anxiety, and nervousness.

Most seniors are excited for the upcoming freedom. Those going to college will be able to schedule their own classes, live outside of their parents’ rules, stay out as late as they want, and eat whatever they want.

Unfortunately, with freedom comes responsibility. For those seniors planning on going into the workforce, the “real world” is going to hit them immediately. They will be paying bills, working every day, and trying to make time for themselves. For those planning on going to college, they will be anxious about the college workload, the new people and atmosphere, and being away from their loved ones (i.e. their pets).

So, just how are the DCHS seniors holding up?

Addie Mann: I am excited for the “real world.” I will have more freedom to do what I want and express myself the way I want.

Blaise Niles: I am pretty excited because I feel like the American education system does not allow you to reach your full potential. I am most excited for having freedom and studying what I actually want to study.

Cassidy Kelly: I am really excited because I have always kind of been more mature than my age group. I also really enjoy being independent. I want to feel like I do not have to rely on anyone anymore. Entering the “real world” is like trying to walk for the first time: it will be tough, but I will have my family and friends to guide me the right way.

Destini Gunter: I am quite excited and am ready to be out of high school. College is exciting me!

Faith Butcher: Overall, my senior year has been a combination of fear, regret, nervousness, excitement, and expectation. Through all these crazy emotions, in the end, I can say that I have accomplished high school and it was a great time!

Francheska Jimenez: I am terrified for entering the “real world” because I will be surrounded by new, different people.

Ian Chapman: I feel pretty prepared. I have good time management, and I plan things out pretty well.

Jackie Johns: Well, the way my grades are going, I might be here again next year… Just kidding, mom, my grades are lookin’ pretty good. But on a serious note, I am very emotional about having to be responsible because I absolutely stink at responsibility!

Kaitlyn Landes: I am excited to get out of high school but am nervous about being on my own and being an actual adult.

Lexi Spitznogle: I am feeling pretty prepared. I have an internship at a real life office with the ICE program. At this internship, I get to experience the “real world” every day.

Nicole Gerard: The “real world” is basically going to show us (seniors) how in depth we’re going to go into our careers and how far we’ll make it. March 16th [the day she graduates to head into basic training] cannot come soon enough!

Riley Saul: I am not looking forward to heading into the “real world” because I have been told that life after high school stinks.

Tori Nacke: Honestly, I am kind of a combination of both excited and nervous. I am excited to finally get out on my own and have my own responsibilities. But at the same time, I am a little nervous of the unknown. Obviously I have never lived the college life so who knows what it has in store for me.

Dacota Shockley, Staff writer

Dacota is a senior at Delphi this year, and this is his first year on the Parnassus staff. He is also involved with Interact, Spanish Club, and Student...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Seniors’ reactions towards entering “real world””

1. Jordan Ladd on December 1st, 2017 9:49 pm

Aww, we’ll miss you all so much!

2. Phil J on December 2nd, 2017 7:57 pm

Love the response from Jackie. A true “Johns” sense of humor!

• Seniors’ reactions towards entering “real world”

Feature

Delphi Community High School presents Girl Crazy

News

Delphi’s FFA chapter heads to convention

Oracle Overview

Oracle Overview: Week 3

Feature

Halloween writing contest winning stories

Messenger

Sports

Coach Strasser receives Colts’ Coach of the Week award

Feature

Last minute costume ideas for the procrastinator

Sports

Oracle football racking up the wins

Feature

Entrepreneurship: From the Netherlands to Carroll County

News

Senior Jonas Brown earns national grant for FFA community garden