• April 17Good luck to our spring sports teams

• April 17Have a fun and safe PROM - April 27

• January 4It's always a great day to be an Oracle!

Reflecting on Earth Day

Google Images

Cynthia Rossi, Staff Writer

As we reflect on Earth Day last week, we should also reflect on ways that we can help preserve our ecosystem. As you may know, pollution is a huge problem on our planet. Oceans are being filled with more and more trash every day. According to CBS News, about 1.8 million people die every year from breathing the air in India, which is heavily polluted with smoke and smog. Also, areas like The Great Pacific Garbage Patch prove that the amount of nonrenewable resources that occupy the oceans is far too grand. So what can we do about this growing problem? Well, a little bit goes a very long way.

Living a waste-free lifestyle is an awesome way to reduce your carbon footprint;  However it isn’t something you can do overnight. It takes a long process of replacing old items for items that are made of stainless steel, cotton, or paper. Most people who are transitioning into a waste-free lifestyle start with soaps. Bars of shampoo and conditioner can be found in popular stores like Lush and on Amazon. Also, small items like reusable water bottles and grocery bags are a great way to help out the environment.

In California, a ban on plastic drinking straws was put in place to help reduce the amount of plastic that enters the oceans and harms marine life. Former Governor Jerry Brown stated, “Plastic has helped advance innovation in our society, but our infatuation with single-use convenience has led to disastrous consequences.” And according to the Ocean Conservancy, plastic has been found in 100% of sea turtle’s bodies. Banning straws might seem inconvenient, but at this point, any change at all could greatly improve this problem.

Speaking of inconveniences, due to pollution, most animals have to alter their migration routes. When animals take a pit stop on their migration route to get a drink of water, they risk swallowing plastic or other nonrenewable resources. Because of this, animals are having a very hard time finding water sources to drink from that aren’t polluted.

The use of non-renewable resources and coal/air pollution is greatly devastating our environment. We must act now and it’s up to our generation to make that change. Let’s choose to make a difference and preserve our earth; Remember that however small that difference may be, you are positively impacting our planet.

Cynthia Rossi, staff writer

Cynthia is a sophomore at Delphi and is thrilled to be a part of the Parnassus staff this year. She is a member of the Delphi Poms dance team, Student...