• March 15Welcome back students from spring break!

• February 20Good luck to all spring sports gearing up for the season!

Pyeongchang Olympic Village

Elijah Hudson, Staff Writer

Two thousand nine hundred and fifty-two athletes are competing in this year’s 2018 Winter Olympic Games. Many of them will be living in South Korea for at least a week.  Where do they stay?

A large majority of the athletes stay at what is called the Olympic Village. The Village consists of eight apartment buildings. There are 600 apartment units in each of the buildings.   The Village is much like a small town consisting of a bank, recreational center, post office, a multi-religious center, and fitness center.

Housing in the Olympic Village isn’t mandatory, so athletes can stay outside of the village if they prefer.  However, inside the Village, there are also several luxuries such as a beauty shop, a convenience store, a new high speed bullet train that allows for fast transportation.

Interestingly, something new was added to the Village this year. There is a separate section for gay athletes in the Olympic Village called Pride House. This is the first time in Olympic history that the Olympic committee has sponsored a safe housing area for gay and lesbian athletes.  

The Olympic Village will also be used for the Paralympics. After the Paralympics, the village will be sold as condominiums.