The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Real Vs. Fake Christmas Trees

There are many controversies regarding Christmas time such as white or colored lights, themed ornaments or funny/handmade ornaments, whether Die Hard is a Christmas movie, and most importantly- real vs. fake Christmas trees. As a real Christmas tree connoisseur, I am going to discuss the pros and cons of having a real Christmas tree. 

The biggest positive in going and getting a real Christmas tree is the memories and fun you have while picking the tree. In my family, it is always a big deal and very fun to go get a tree. Whenever we go, we go to Cosgrey’s Christmas tree farm. After we get our tree, they always shake it and we get to go inside and walk around their shop. We walk in to get hot apple cider and look around at all the candles and gnomes they have for sale. Another positive of getting a real Christmas tree would be the smell and appearance of it. Personally, I think they look much cooler than fake trees. They also make your house smell good. 

While I have many positives of having real Christmas trees, I can also see a few negatives. One is that my dad is allergic to the tree, even though he always helps decorate and bring the tree in. I also have cats who love the tree, which can be not great considering they are always in it and smell like sap. While my stance still stands, here is Tylene with her argument for fake Christmas trees. 

Now, I love the theory of having a real tree in my house during Christmas, but there’s the obvious choice when it comes to practicality. There are many reasons that artificial trees make superior Christmas decorations. For starters, they leave less of a mess in the house. There’s no sap, no needles, and no bark shedding. They’re a lot neater, and keep your house relatively clean. Also a positive, there’s little to no maintenance with fake Christmas trees. No worrying about watering or trimming the tree, because it’s already in perfect condition. Another reason is that fake trees last longer. While you have to get a real tree every year, artificial trees can continue to be used for around 15 years. Fake trees are also made to be a lot easier to transport and maneuver, which can be easier for the entire family to help with. Also, artificial trees are a lot safer to have in the house. They are hypoallergenic, meaning that nobody in the house has to worry about allergies. They’re also made out of fire-resistant materials, so there’s less of a chance for your house to burn down during the holiday season. 

However, there are some unfavorable characteristics of the fake tree. For example, having to fluff up the tree branches every year can be a tiring job, ending in getting poked. Another negative is that some fake trees don’t look pleasant, and rather look like they’re made of  green pipe cleaners. Also, having cats doesn’t get all that easier with fake trees. I know that my cat ends up climbing our tree, almost knocking it over. But nothing in life is perfect, so fake trees are pretty good, all things considered.