• November 13HAPPY THANKSGIVING

• November 13Good luck to our winter athletes

• November 13Congratulations, cast and crew of You Can't Take it with You

Students comment on life as a freshman

Holly Cosgray, Staff Writer

Freshmen. A.K.A. Fresh-meat.  We have all been there at one point in our lives and have felt some of the exact emotions the freshman class does this year. Some students go into high school excited and ready for a change, others just see themselves being at the bottom of the ladder. Being a first grader, a sixth grader, and a freshman are the most heart wrenching years in a student’s life. You are at the bottom of the ladder, you are the little fish in the big sea, but with that comes great news. There is no other place to go but up. So I went to four of our freshmen this year and asked them a few questions to find out how their freshman year was going.

Francheyly Jimenez:

Do you like high school or middle school better? “I have mixed feelings because I am used to middle school, but in high school I have more independence.”

Are high school or middle school lunches better? High school lunches are much better. There are way more options.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mrs. Kinzie is my favorite teacher. She is laid back and chill.”

What is your least favorite thing about high school? “There are a lot more people in high school so you are always bumping into someone.”

Do you have more homework? “I definitely have more homework, but I think we get more in high school because eventually we will go to college and they want us to be more independent.”

Hailey Ross

What is your favorite part about high school? “My favorite part about high school is probably the freedom that I get.”

Have you joined any clubs? “I have not joined any clubs this year, but next year I am thinking about playing volleyball.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “My favorite teacher is Miss Doyle. She is chill.”

Do you like high school or middle school better? “I would rather be in high school because the maturity level is way better than middle school. I always like the freedom I now have in high school.”

What are your plans after high school? “I want to go to IUK to become a nurse.”

LeAnn Nelson

When you were in middle school did you think high school was intimidating? “I was not scared, but I was nervous about my grades and bullies.”

Are you in any clubs? “No, I am thinking about joining some in the future.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Miss Doyle is my favorite teacher. She helps me understand my homework and myself just in general.”

Do you like high school or middle school better? “High school because I have more freedom.”

What are your plans after high school? “I want to go to Vincennes to be a vet so I can help animals.”

Jaden Long

Are sports different in high school than they are in middle school? “Yes, bigger level of competition. Middle school is just for fun.”

How do you like the high school dances? “I have only been to one. It was fine.”

Who is your favorite teacher? “Mr. Long because he has us strive to get better.”

Do you like high school or middle school? “High school. There is less homework, and it is a lot easier.”

What are your plans after high school? “Go to Purdue to become an aerospace engineer. I would like to play tennis in college if I get the chance.

So as you can tell there are some similarities and differences in the answers I received. These students are striving for success and I believe that they will indeed succeed. So if you see them around school give them a little motivation or just simply say hi, because they are in the exact footsteps you were in a couple years ago.