The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Student spotlight: Jared Lafond

Abby Price
Sophomore Jared Lafond plays the National Anthem at the boys’ basketball sectionals

Around this time of year, Parnassus covers a lot of basketball highlights. From the game, to the Lew-Natics, we are covering every second. But what about the band?

We have some incredibly talented individuals in that section of the gymnasium, and we would like to highlight one of them: sophomore Jared Lafond. He has been playing his beautiful trumpet since the summer of his sixth grade year, and it is something that he has grown to have a passion for. “I enjoy the happiness I give people when I play my instrument,” said Jared.

If you aren’t sure who Jared is, he would be the guy playing the National Anthem at the basketball games this year. “He has great goals, he works hard, and he’s a good leader,” commented Mr. Dennison. “He is very talented, and an all around great kid.”

All this greatness doesn’t come without practice. Jared practices around three hours a day and eight hours on the weekend. The inspiration to do all of this hard work stems from his father, who played in high school, and his idol, Louis Armstrong.

After high school, Jared plans to take his talent and do incredible things with it. “I plan to go on to do performances and touring and then teach music,” said Jared.

For Jared, music isn’t just a hobby or something that he does on the weekends. It’s his passion. “Music has affected my life by helping me to be more understanding and patient with things because, with music, you have to be patient and not only play, but understand.”