• December 6HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

• July 31It's always a great day to be an Oracle

Fall Sports Review

Elijah Hudson, Sports Writer

Football

The football team lost in the first round of Sectionals after completing one of the most impressive seasons by a Delphi program. The Oracles fell to the Rensselaer Bombers 21-6 after being placed in one of the toughest high school sectional brackets in Indiana. The loss did not necessarily dictate the success of the team as the Rensselaer game produced their only loss of the season. They ended with a final record of 9-1. The team is graduating eight seniors, including Blake Carroll and Isaac Salinas, who were both vital parts to the Oracles success, but are retaining a host of underclassmen that were able to gain experience this year.

Boys’ Soccer

The Delphi soccer team completed its second season with a record above .500. Two players that were pivotal to the team’s winning percentage, Max Kender and Garrett Tomson, are graduating. The Oracles will look to goalkeeper Ethan Randle to direct the team as he is going to be the backbone of the team next year. The soccer team was able to obtain a berth to a sectional championship where they faced a one loss Faith Christian team. The Eagles were able to take the win at the end of the day with a result of 3-1. After the loss, the Oracles finished the season with a record of 8-7-4.

Girls’ Soccer

Similar to the boys’ team, the Lady Oracles lost to Faith Christian in sectional play. However, they stretched out the game into penalty kicks before they walked back onto the bus. The Eagles won in penalty kicks with a regulation score of 0-0, and a penalty kick result of 4-3. The loss marked the end of career for five players, who all provided significant minutes in their years on the team.

Volleyball

The girls were able to make improvements following a two win previous season. Finishing with a record of 7-16, the girls looked much more refined than foregoing years. When compared to their 2017 campaign, the girls racked up more digs, blocks, and kills this year. While they are losing three seniors who were on varsity, it should be noted that their leaders in kills, blocks, and digs, Jordyn Gasser, Haley Nelson, and Lillie Smith respectively, are all returning players. With that fact in mind, it will be interesting to see what this squad can do next year.

Cross Country

The cross country team produced two runners who were able to battle their way into regionals. However, the runners, Skyler Lyons and Chelsea Zaldivar, were not able to advance past that point, marking the end of the season. Even though the aforementioned runners are seniors, they will still represent what the remaining members of the team want to strive for next year.

Boys’ Tennis

The boys’ tennis team is losing two seniors: Luke Austin and Chad Canen. When looking forward to next year, the bulk of the Varsity team is returning. With this in mind, it is exciting to see what accomplishments the group can muster up next year. A notable accomplishment was that the team beat Carroll twice during the season.

Girls’ Golf

The girls’ golf team had their season come to an end Sept. 15 at sectionals. It is the last time senior Abi Beighler will be apart of the team. “We had fun and liked to get Taco Bell after matches. ” added coach Dave Gilbert.

Elijah Hudson, sports writer

Elijah is in his second year on Parnassus staff and is loving every second he can be around his colleagues. He has finally reached the upperclassmen threshold...