The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Winter sports preview

Wrestling

Coach Mike Atwood returns many talented wrestlers from last year’s Hoosier Conference championship winning squad. For the last ten years, at least one Oracle wrestler has made it to state. Coach Atwood is using that as motivation for his team this year. Seniors Walker Alderman, Bryer Houston, Johnny Little, and Aaron Madison will be asked to lead the team, but junior Mason Gray, a semi state qualifier from a year ago, will also help to carry the load. Sophomores Dean Hampton and Hunter Mote are also talented athletes on the mat. Freshman Dylan Hart will also bring talent to a deep team that is looking forward to build upon their successful season a year ago.

Boys’ Basketball

Coach Mike Lewis and the defending sectional champion Oracles will have to fill the void left by five seniors that graduated last year. Only one starter returns, junior point guard Brent Hawn, but many experienced players return to the team this season. Seniors Garrett Johnson, Kolby Myer, and Peyton Wagner will be the leaders for the team this season and will help the Oracles win any way possible. Brent Hawn will be asked to carry most of the scoring load and other juniors, Mason Lane and Adam Shanks, will also contribute big minutes. The team is excited to carry on the winning tradition and is looking forward to playing in front of the Lew-Natics.

Girls’ Basketball

Undoubtedly the youngest of all Oracle teams, coach Dan Dawson’s girls basketball squad is loaded with talent and athleticism. Sometimes youth is not a bad thing. Valuable experience will be gained. There are only two seniors on the team, Brooke Piatt and Jersey Lattimore. They will be asked to be leaders for the load of sophomores and freshmen that will make up the rest of the varsity squad. Sophomores Danielle Swayze and Tatum Minier will bring varsity experience to the lineup, as they were key players in last year’s campaign. Other sophomores—Myka Roth, Morgan Crowel, and Erika Carroll—will also play significant minutes this season. The youth does not stop with sophomores; two freshmen, Rylee Lane and Bailey Gasser, will get quite a bit of playing time in their first season.

Swimming

Coach Sean Barry has many talented swimmers returning to the pool this season. Seniors Cameron Burns, Adam Goodman, and Elliot Murphy will all lead the Oracles and help the team be competitive in the tough Hoosier Conference. On the girls’ team, seniors Emma Carpenter and Miranda Wright and juniors Haley Sales and Addie Bradshaw are the top returners. Cameron Burns holds the Delphi swimming record for the 200 freestyle, and placed second and third in events at the sectional meet a year ago. Burns has the ability to reach the state meet this season.