The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Fall sports update

Boys’ Soccer (2-7-1)

The boys’ soccer team, coached by Dan Hernandez, has put themselves in winning positions many times this year. Two of their losses have been by one goal, and a draw against Benton Central could have very easily turned into a win. The team is led by top scorer Kenny Zaldivar and goalie Brayton Slifer, both juniors. Sophomore Kolby Kinzie has also been a strong player for the Oracles. Kinzie said, “The first two weeks or so were rough but as of late the team has played better and things have gone more smoothly.” The squad is very young and talented so look for them to do well in the next few years.

Girls’ Soccer (0-6-1)

Despite the record, the girls’ soccer team has seen great improvement throughout the first half of the year. Coach Adam Barrett’s squad, led by sophomore Danielle Swayze and senior Jersey Lattimore, have progressed greatly from their 15-0 loss to Central Catholic. Junior Caydence McClain said, “We’ve improved a lot, and that’s good, but there is so much room for improvement.” One thing that has hurt the team is an injury to senior Karlee Sparks. A leg injury has sidelined her for many games so far this season. Just like the boys team, there is a nice batch of young talent for the girls’ soccer team and good things are in store for them.

Girls’ Golf  (5-10)

The girls’ golf team has been one of the pleasant surprises of the fall. First year coach David Mitchell has turned around the program and has the team playing well. The team set high goals and has achieved many of them. Senior Megan Dyer has led the team, but Coach Mitchell has seen the most improvement from junior Hannah Napier. Coach Mitchell said, “Hannah has really stepped up her game the second half of the season and has proven to be the number two golfer.” Coach Mitchell and the team are very happy with the five wins collected this year. With a strong group of underclassmen, the program is looking up.

Football (2-3)

Coach Strasser and the team are doing what they can with what they have. Two things have made it hard for the Oracles to get on track — a tough schedule and a terrible injury to QB Jason Sterrett. Strasser said that playing time for young players, including freshman QB Weston Windell, has given them valuable experience. The two wins were big ones, coming against rival Carroll, and Clinton Prairie. Two of their losses have come from top-5 ranked teams in Central Catholic and West Side. Senior leadership has led the Oracles so far this season. Coach Strasser said the team is poised for the postseason, and he is eager to see what they can do.

Volleyball (4-8)

Coach Suzanne Hughes claims the volleyball squad is off to a slow start but is improving with every match. Many of the games have been separated by 4 points or less. Leading the Oracles in almost every statistical category is senior Emma Carpenter. Carpenter, along with the rest of the seniors, has led the team so far this year. “The seniors have been awesome leaders this year,” coach Hughes said. Along with many of the other sports teams, young talent has been noted by Coach Hughes. Myka Roth and Morgan Crowel have seen considerable playing time for the Oracles as sophomores. A new sectional has the Oracles’ hopes set on a sectional title.

Boys’ Tennis (6-6)

After losing a great class to graduation, the tennis team, coached by Scott Gear, has improved drastically from the beginning of the season. Senior leaders Braden Abbott and Jack Gillam have led the team so far. Abbott and Jack’s brother, Josh, lead the team in wins at the #1 doubles position. Young talent, including sophomore Colin Edging and freshmen Marcus Austin and Caleb Myers, have earned their way onto the varsity roster. Many players have a shot at earning spots on the all-conference team at the conference tournament.

Cross Country

Neither the boys nor the girls have enough to field a complete team; therefore, there is no official record. However, there are strong runners. A new coach still has the team adapting to changes with him. Also, the loss of a great group of seniors has hindered the squad. “Losing so many seniors was hard but I think everyone of us is progressively getting better,” junior Kolt Kinsler said.