The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Oracle football keeps skillet

photo provided
Seniors of the Oracle football team gather around a hard-earned skillet.

If you paid your five dollars to attend this year’s annual Bacon Bowl, through the two days and several lightning delays, you definitely got your money’s worth.

Despite the chaos, the Oracles kept the skillet after defeating the rival Carroll Cougars by a score of 42-28.

The Cougars came out of the opening gate hot, jumping to a 21-6 lead. The Oracles could not seem to stop the power run game of the Cougars, led by Jaden Reneau and Chandler Eurit. The tables turned, though, late in the second quarter when senior quarterback Jason Sterrett connected a deep ball with junior wide receiver Tyler Ross for a 49-yard touchdown.

Sterrett came up big on the next Cougar possession, intercepting Carroll quarterback Jared Miller deep in Oracle territory. Then came the lightning, which came at an inopportune time for the Oracles. Lightning stopped play for about 40 minutes and then football was resumed. However, momentum was not halted during the delay for the Oracles. On the first play after the delay, Sterrett came up big again, this time rushing for a touchdown.

The Cougars would answer back, though. A touchdown run from Reneau gave the Cougars a 28-20 halftime lead.

The Oracles dominated the second half of the game, not allowing a single point. After senior Bryer Houston recovered a fumble, Sterrett again connected with Ross for a 40-yard touchdown. A two-point conversion knotted the score at 28.

A gutsy call from Coach Strasser then paid off. Junior kicker Tyler Arion performed an onside kick, and recovered it himself, giving Sterrett and the Oracles great field position. On this possession, Sterrett found junior Treavor Cox for a 51-yard touchdown pass to put the Oracles up 34-28.

Lightning then struck again, stopping play for a half hour, and then another series of lightning strikes delayed the game furthermore until Saturday afternoon.

Senior running back Garrett Johnson put the icing on the cake for the Oracles Saturday with a 79-yard touchdown run. Along with another two-point conversion, the Oracles took the lead 42-28, which ended up to be the final tally.

The seniors proved to be the deciding factor, as they should be in their last rivalry game against Carroll. Sterrett ended up 11-19 for 221 yards and 3 touchdowns. Johnson totaled 176 yards on the ground along with one touchdown.

If you missed the Bacon Bowl, you didn’t miss the only rivalry game this season. Twin Lakes comes to town on Sept. 13. Whenever the Oracles and Indians are matched up, there is sure to be a great game.