The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Dedication a necessary trait for athletes

Morning practices. Afternoon practices. Mid-week meets followed by hours of homework. Weekends filled with games and more homework. Such is the life of an athlete. There is only one way an athlete can survive – dedication. Fortunately, Delphi Community High School is home to many dedicated athletes; athletes who dedicate themselves to their sports, their studies, and even their social life.

Athletes over the years have been forced to become more dedicated to everything they are involved in. Sports have started to go year round, the amount of practices have increased, and the amount of pure dedication has skyrocketed.

Along with the athletic dedication comes many other responsibilities including education, family, and friends. Academic dedication is an important part of all athletes’ lives. “There is a definite correlation  between academic dedication and athletic dedication,” said, DCHS athletic director, Mr. Allen.  Not only are athletes determined to be successful in all aspects of their lives, but athletes are also required to meet certain standards set for them.

The social aspect of any athlete’s life can be an interesting one. Some athletic teams have such a strong bond that they go on to think of themselves as families, as siblings at heart. Making time for your friends and family outside of any dedicated athlete’s busy schedule is a full time job itself. “In my years of athletics, I have always been very close to my teammates. I believe that it helps on the field,” said junior Jason Sterrett.

Athletics have been transformed from more than fun and games over the years. The dedication that is involved with athletics have changed it to more of a lifestyle. “The will to achieve excellence comes from dedication,” concluded junior Kolby Myer.