The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Flu epidemic strikes United States

What constitutes an epidemic? In the United States, an outbreak of illness is legally considered an “epidemic” if it causes 7.2% of deaths for the given time frame. On average, around 10,000 people die of the “flu” every year in the the world. In the few weeks past, a major bug has swept across the nation, claiming the lives of 29 children and hindering many other people, even adults. In a country with advanced sciences and vaccines, how does something like this happen?

To begin, have you been vaccinated? Although this year’s vaccinations had an uncharacteristically low effect (62% effectiveness), they still protected against three of the most harmful types of the flu. Last year, only 34 people died due to flu related illness. Studies show that last year’s vaccinations had at least 80% effectiveness, which would explain the lower death count.

Another explanation for the huge breakout could be due to the fact that a new type of flu, the H3N2, is immune to the vaccinations that people receive. “Immune” means that it will almost completely block the disease, but in some cases you may still catch it, just with fewer symptoms. A member of Delphi, junior Shelby Bradshaw, may have had this variant of the virus.

“To start off, I missed three days of school. And it wasn’t the ‘Yay I’m missing school’ kind either. I had a hard time moving. All of my muscles ached and needless to say I vomited countless times. It was terrible.”

With this flu season in full swing, and it also proving to be a deadly one, we must stay smart with our actions. In an attempt to dull the effects of this deadly virus, it is imperative to make wise health decisions. A little common sense can go a long way. Washing hands, getting adequate sleep, and eating healthy can contribute to helping ward off pesky viruses.