The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Five unique college majors

With college applications all being officially sent in and seniors finalizing their path for next year, there is always the frequently asked question: What are you planning on majoring in? For many, the answer is nursing, or business or engineering. What some people don’t realize is that there are a lot of majors out there that many don’t even know about. So here are five that we have found interesting.

First, have you ever heard of viticulture and enology?  It is the study of vineyards. Students who study this discipline learn the difference between good grapes and bad grapes. They learn different ways to make wine. They look over and own vineyards and study soils and the wine markets to learn of the best places to sell wine.

Second, you can major in something you partake in without actually realizing it: pop culture. When majoring in pop culture, students study sitcoms, magazines, movies, cars, and houses. Students can later work in fields like journalism, mass media, and public relations.

Next is auctioneering. Yes, the man who stands in front of the auction barn that your parents dragged you to could have possibly gone to college to learn to talk that fast. In Pennsylvania, it is a requirement to finish the auctioneer program at Harrisburg Area Community College so future auctioneers can learn all things auction.

At the University of Maryland, students can major in turf and golf course management.  They study biology and chemistry to teach all the future groundskeepers the “what’s what” about anything that has to do with the grass that grows on the course. They learn about pesticides  for keeping the grounds free and clear of all pests and after graduation are complete golf course experts.

Finally, bowling industry management and technology. Yes, you can major in bowling at Vincennes University here in Indiana, which is actually the only college in the country where you can major in something so. . .               different. When pursuing this major, students study lane and pinsetter management and proper alcohol management. After graduation, students are capable of owning a fully operating bowling alley.

All in all, choosing a major can be stressful. When students are choosing majors, they almost always settle for jobs they know about through friends and family. With a little imagination, and a Google search or two, it is easily discovered that the old saying “you can do anything you set your mind to” really isn’t too far off after all.