The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

Local veteran bestowed honor

photo provided
Mrs. Israel and her father and sister shared a special day together in Washington D.C. The trip was part of the Honor Flight program.

With Veteran’s Day looming in the not-so-distant future, it is time to reflect upon our veterans.  It is difficult for most of us to even fathom what their service was like and sometimes even more difficult to know how best to honor them.  However, Indiana veterans of World War II are honored in a special way through a multi-state program called Honor Flight. The Lafayette area program takes WWII Hoosier vets from Purdue Airport on a private jet to Washington D.C. for a private tour of the memorials, monuments, and museums dedicated to the second World War.

DCHS guidance counselor, Jan Israel, recently attended an Honor Flight with her father, Richard Grantham, when she was asked to take part on the trip as his aide. The two were in for quite a day. On the morning of Sept. 9, they arrived at Purdue University at 6:00 am to begin an emotional flood of memories. They, along with other local veterans, were greeted by the Purdue University band playing patriotic music. After loading onto their private jet, which was suited perfectly to aide the aging veterans in any way, they headed out for Washington D.C. When they landed at Baltimore Airport, the group of around 160 people was welcomed by volunteers and other younger veterans, who applauded and thanked the veterans for all they have done for their country.

Well known for playing taps at school events, Richard has a little fan base for himself back here in Delphi and he was in for a surprise.  At the end of the day, on the bus trip back to Baltimore he was given a bag filled with around 150 letters from students at Delphi Community Elementary, all thanking him for his service.

At the World War II memorial, Richard was in for yet another special surprise when his other daughter showed up to accompany him along his journey. Now aided by both of his daughters,  Richard was escorted, along with the other veterans, to the newly erected WWII Memorial. After spending time at the monument dedicated to the men themselves, they moved on to all of the other major military memorials scattered about the city. After a long but special day, they went back to the airport for their flight home.

After getting through airport security, the group crossed an airport terminal filled to the brim with outgoing soldiers. The veterans and the young soldiers exchanged words of advice and encouragement as they passed by each other. Mrs. Israel said, “That scene of the young meeting the aging veterans made such an impression on me – thinking how the World War II vets were remembering the day they left years ago and the young soldiers hoping they would return for such a reunion.”