The student news site of Delphi Community High School.

Parnassus

Breaking News
  • It's a great day to be an Oracle!
  • WELCOME BACK!

Parnassus

Parnassus

DCHS staff members learn from adversity

In this life, every one of us will reach defining moments. We must face the greatest  triumph and the deepest despair. However, it is how we cope with these instances that defines us as human beings. There are stories all around us about people who have achieved unimaginable goals despite their odds of success. They stand as living proof that we can carry on, that we can succeed regardless of those things holding us back. Many of those individuals stand before us every day. We just have to know where to look, and we, the students of DCHS, don’t have to look very far.

Early in his middle school career, senior English teacher Mr. Barry was diagnosed with dyslexia. He had been a struggling student for most of his life and found no real motivation for school. Furthermore, after speaking to his guidance counselor about his future, he was told he would never go to college and would be lucky to finish high school. He was even told that there would be no need to take the SAT. At this point, most people would give up.  However, Mr. Barry was invigorated and determined to prove his doubters wrong. With his newfound motivation, he quickly took control of his future. Mr.Barry took the SAT and passed. He then moved on to Purdue University where he is now working toward his PhD. With incredibly low odds of success, and the world against him, he managed to pull through. He found a way to achieve, and he is still striving to be the best he can be in all areas.

A few years ago, Mrs. Israel, guidance counselor, was diagnosed with kidney cancer. She was struck with grief, and she felt robbed as only 10% of kidney cancer patients are women.  She left work and secluded herself from the world. She felt hopeless, and as if she had no future. She quickly became depressed and avoided her friends and family.   She wasn’t terribly religious, but she talked to God anyway. She asked to simply feel a little better. She asked for the strength to carry on. One day she seemed to find that strength. She woke up with a new attitude. She realized that she was not in control, and that what was going to happen would happen no matter what she did. She, once again, found a positive outlook on life, and returned to work. She vowed that she would help people as long as she could. She has found peace with herself and is hopeful that she will live to see many more years. As of now, the cancer is in remission and she is undergoing chemotherapy. She has found a true purpose to her life… helping the students of DCHS.

Mr. Trebley has struggled with adversity his entire life. He was constantly being told that he wasn’t good enough. However, being the youngest in his family, he always had strong role models. Nearly his entire family is strongly involved in their community. Whether they are policemen, firefighters, or teachers, they are always working for the people around them. These moral values rubbed off. He is often asked why he does the things he does. “I strive to be my best by serving others. I always go all in, and I do my best to make tomorrow better than today,” Mr Trebley stated. He has an iron will and tries to do everything the best that he possibly can. He quoted Yoda, saying, “Do or do not. There is no try.” Because of this strong will, he has been able to achieve two master’s degrees in administration and is working on his doctorate. On top of all of this, he has three children and a loving wife. Mr. Trebley is always trying to improve as an adult, a father, and a husband. He has stared adversity in the face and has beaten it.

Mr. Coyner, DCHS art teacher, also shared his story. However, it would be insufficient to change his thoughts in any way. So here is his response in its entirety.

“Everyone at some point in their lives will be faced with obstacles. I really believe it’s a coping mechanism to show our mettle and allow us to grow as individuals. The past year has been one of those situations that certainly tried my mettle and resolve to overcome these obstacles.

“Our family experienced its share of difficult situations that quickly became obstacles. Suicide reared its ugly head and visited us during the night of June 11, 2012. It’s still with us and will be forever. We have begun the process of recovery by involving ourselves in the Out of the Darkness suicide prevention organization. While still fresh, we experienced two more obstacles that too will be with us for the remainder of our lives. In January, I was diagnosed with leukemia and one month later, in February, my wife was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. What are the odds? We asked ourselves this very question. We take each day in stride and find ways to stay positive and work to overcome these obstacles.

“In conclusion, no one is immune to life’s obstacles. You will encounter your own obstacles and only your mettle and ability to overcome them will get you through. Continue to stay positive, follow directions and advisements from professionals who work each day to assist you, and most of all have faith that you will overcome.”   – Mr. Coyner

These stories are proof that we can beat adversity. Every one of these individuals faced life changing moments, and they were able to carry on. They did not give up, even when things were at their worst, and now they stand before us every day with smiling faces. No matter how bad things get, they will always improve. They teach us to never give up and to always fight the good fight.