• March 15Welcome back students from spring break!

• February 20Good luck to all spring sports gearing up for the season!

DCHS students attend Honor Band

Dacota Shockley, Staff Writer

On Nov. 19, 2017, four Delphi Community High School students performed in an all-district honor band at Rossville High School.  The fellow students include seniors Sami Gunther and Aaron Lafond, junior Abigail Bieghler, and sophomore Joshua Rush. Sophomores Aden Sinks and Angel Prince were chosen as alternates.

To be eligible to participate in the honor band, students must fill out an online form. The school’s music director then fills out a recommendation form for each student. The Indiana Band Master’s Association (IBA) determines the students who get to play in the honor band. The criteria is how long you’ve played your instrument, what part you play in the band, if you participated before, ranking in solo and ensemble, and Mr. Dennison has the final decision on who goes. Each school is guaranteed at least two students, and DCHS is proud to have four who qualified.

This year’s four recipients endured eight hours of rehearsal in one day before their evening performance. The students have sectional time, which is where you work within your own instrument group. A band director will assist each group. The recipients will then go on the stage, meet the official guest director, and start practicing for their performance.

Sami and Aaron were also chosen for Ball State’s Honor Band, as well. Aaron was eligible to perform for the honor band, while Sami was an alternate. This honor band is permitted for high school students, just like the all-state honor band. This honor band performance was held at Ball State University and took place on Dec. 2nd.

“I am very proud of the students who put in the time to participate in two honor bands this past November and early December.  These students were chosen among hundreds of other applicants and students who auditioned.  I was able to attend rehearsals for all of these students and I am so proud to say that these students represented DCHS very well.  What an excellent compliment to these students and our band program.” –Mr. Dennison